Saturday, May 22, 2010

Cole is 6


I haven't figured out the roses yet, but I've decided that I want to make a cake for my nephew's 6th birthday. Problem is, he's in Maine and I'm in North Carolina....but wait, my mother is visiting and could take the cake back with her on the plane...I'm making the cake.

Cole is obsessed with Lego's and Star Wars and preferably Star Wars Lego's, so he needs to have a Star Wars Lego cake.

I had to make a small cake so that my mom could carry it on the plane, so I made a 6" round, and a 3" round topper to kind of make it look Lego like. I covered it in a bright blue fondant, then covered the top round in bright orange.

My mom and I went to the Lego store at the Concord Mills Mall and picked up some actual Lego men and a few Lego pieces to add to the cake.

While there, I found what was meant to be a Lego man ice cube tray, which we in turn used as a chocolate mold. My mom made Lego men in yellow, red and green and these became the border around the bottom of the cake.

While six year old's can rarely match their own socks, they know the difference between real and make believe. Just writing the words Star Wars on the cake would have been make believe, so I downloaded the Star Wars logo and cut it out of fondant to ensure that this was a "real" Star Wars cake.

My piping skills are weak but I wanted to do something fun for his name. I considered using some wooden letters I found at AC Moore, but they didn't have the 4 letters I needed. So, while I was working, my mom took a little drive over to Michael's and found a cake lettering mold, which I then used to create his name in black fondant.

I used waxing sticks to adhere the stars to each other and stuck the letters on the stars. I finished by using butter cream to glue down the Lego pieces...then it was time to box it up and fly it to Maine.

After it arrived in Maine, my mom added the #6 stick and the Lego men we had purchased. Once she delivered the cake, Cole was very excited and wanted to just keep looking at it.


His sister Lexie had other ideas. She really liked the chocolate Lego men!
And now she wants her own cake!

Well her birthday is next month so I have some time to come up with an idea....
and figure out how to ship a cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment