Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Lexie Wants Cake

I made the decision to make a cake for Lexie's 3rd birthday and ship it to her. I found instructions for packaging and shipping online and I think I can make it work.

I decided to go for a Dora the Explorer theme. I started with a 6" round...again. They are easier to cover and they fit in a relatively small box...which is imperative when shipping quickly.

I got a few Dora characters in plastic to add to the cake. I am not talented enough to create 3D characters out of edible materials....I started with a pink background because, well she's a girl and she's 3...isn't everything supposed to be pink? Then I got a call from my boss that I was needed in Florida for the next week. The cake went into the freezer.

Before I left, I made a purple crown and letters cut out of fondant that spelled Happy Birthday Lexus. I made some 2D flowers and leaves out of gum paste and I managed to get everything adhered to the cake and it was so beautiful. My camera is terrible and the pictures are blurry, but it really WAS a beautiful cake.



The cake went back into the freezer for a week.
As soon as I returned from Florida, I shipped it overnight.

I don't have pictures yet, but the cake did not ship well. The leaves were all broken and Dora was face first smashed into the cake... but it didn't matter.

It was all Lexie's...her very own, which she apparently smashed her face into almost immediately and continued eating well into the night.

So lesson learned....do not ship cake....unless it's for a precious 3 year old that just wants her own cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment